Saturday 27 September 2014

One Lovely Blog Award to My Fellow Contributors

I hope I'm not breaking the rules of this collaboration too badly by writing two posts this month, but I wanted very much to nominate all of my fellow bloggers who participate in Worldwide Genealogy -- A Genealogical Collaboration. You have been so helpful to me over the course of this year. You've taught me better research techniques, how to research in countries other than the U.S., and other tools to which I had not been exposed to help me in my research, writing and to stay organized. But you were especially welcoming when I talked about my parents health issues. I lost my Mom earlier this month and knowing there are people I have never met who are supportive is incredibly helpful in getting through each day.



For those of you who would like to participate the rules are:


  1. Thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog
  2. Share seven things about yourself
  3. Nominate 15 you admire (or as many as you can think of)
  4. Contact your bloggers and let them know you've tagged them for the One Lovely Blog award.

8 comments:

  1. Schalene, it was sweet of you to do this. I have previously received (and passed on) the 'One Lovely Blog' award, and my nominations are listed on pages linked from my blog's 'Awards' page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that many of you will have received a One Lovely Blog Award, however, I could not leave this blog of my list. http://familystoriesphotographsandmemories.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/thank-you-for-your-one-lovely-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for introducing me to another wonderful blog.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Schalene, for such a beautifully expressed post, My thoughts are with you. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your advice on research Scots has been invaluable to me and has really helped so much. I'm sure I haven't thanked you properly for it.

      Delete
  4. Schalene, As someone whose Mum passed away earlier this year I can tell you it does, sort of get easier, and there are moments (and sometimes many moments) when the amount of loss is almost too much to bear. It is in those dark moments when our family, friends and genealogical buddies - both near and virtually will say, do, share something that eases the darkest moments.

    Like so many emotions and events - grief, pain, despair and dismay have not obvious signs. To many, it is carry on as normal, whilst normal may never again be the same, but the strength we find from our personal reserves assisted by the help of a friend or loved one is what will guide us along the path of future. There are bumps, surprising turns, and whilst at the moment it feels very lonely please know that others have taken the same path and understand and will help when you need it.

    Take care as you navigate the weeks ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,

    I feel like I am walking in your footsteps! It is a lonely place. Right now it's a place where I admit no one -- not my husband or my brothers. I know Mom wouldn't want me to feel like this. We were fortunate enough to talk about it several times before her death. So I am waiting for it to turn into something else.

    In the meantime, I research her side of the tree, which has been sadly neglected. I know this seems trite, but thank goodness she was willing to do a DNA test a few months before her death. I was able to tell her about one connection I was able to sort out to a descendant of Mom's first cousin once removed. That cousin played professional football (American style) in the 1940s. Mom was so tickled. She LOVED football!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Schalene! I lost my own mum two years ago and it still hurts, but everything Julie says is true. I've found comfort in continuing my research into her side of the family - and thinking of how she'd love the new stories I've found. I wish I could share them with her, and miss her, but it helps the connection and the feeling of continuity. You'll find your own way through this dark wood, in your own time. But you'll find our paths there, too - we don't walk this road alone.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for leaving a comment on the World Wide Genealogy Blog. All comments are moderated because of pesky spammers!

Best wishes
World Wide Genealogy Team