Sunday 31 August 2014

Use FreeBMD postems to find new relatives

FreeBMD is an ongoing project to transcribe civil registration indexes of births, marriages and deaths for England and Wales, and to provide free Internet access to those transcribed indexes. FreeBMD is an immensely useful site, and I like it even more since it produced the unexpected bonus of contact with new relatives via 'postems'.

An excellent feature of FreeBMD (but one that is overlooked by many genealogists) is the ability to add a short message (250 characters maximum) called a postem to any entry in the FreeBMD database.

The postem can tell people how to contact you - or (in keeping with our 'collaboration' theme) if you buy a certificate that turns out to be for the wrong person, you can help other researchers by putting details from the certificate in a postem.

Here is a step-by-step example of how I used a postem.

I searched FreeBMD for the birth registration of Bertha OAKLEY, who (according to census records) was apparently born in 1895 in County Durham. This is the search screen.



The search result looked like this.


I clicked the 'Info' icon and added a postem with my contact details.

When someone adds a postem, an envelope icon appears beside the entry, as shown below. You click the icon to read the postem.


To my delight, a distant relative contacted me as a result of my postem! She had information about Bertha OAKLEY's grandfather, Benjamin PEACOCK, who was a brother of my great-grandmother, Mary HUDSON nee PEACOCK.

This was just one of several similar successes that I've had with FreeBMD. I now always add a postem for each index entry that is (or could be) for my family.

I also use the 'search postems' feature to quickly check whether anyone else has added one that may be relevant to me. Here is an example of a search...


...and the search result, showing two postems that fit the criteria.


If you have used FreeBMD to find births, marriages and deaths for your family, I urge you to:
  1. Go back and add postems to all of those entries.
  2. Include an email address that will be valid long-term, such as a free Gmail address from Google.
  3. Check the text carefully before you click 'create', because postems cannot be changed or deleted.
  4. Before you start, read the Postems Help page.

Have you benefited from using postems on FreeBMD, or used them in different ways?
~ ~
You might also like:

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Jill, I hope FreeBMD postems work as well for you as they already have for me. It's certainly worth a try, because it costs nothing and only requires a small amount of time.

      Delete
    2. I've just shared your post with our Society Judy - useful info for the members

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jill. The more people who add postems to FreeBMD, the better!

      Delete
  2. This is new to me. Thank you Judy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I'm glad I could give you something new to try.

      Delete
  3. I have only used them to comment when there is an error or something I have found has been an alternative spelling. As I rebuild my tree I will try to remember to do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's well worth the (minimal) effort, Hilary.

      Delete
  4. I have used Free BMD but for searches was not aware of the postem feature, so thank you for highlighting it. I must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Postem Help page is somewhat hidden on the site!

      Delete
  5. Obviously your postem advice has been great help. I've used it a few times, but sadly no one has knocked me over in the rush to get in touch. I also like Curious Fox which turns up intreresting bits and bobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauleen, your luck may improve when more people start using postems - so please spread the word! This post is getting lots of hits and +1's, but feedback on social media sites shows that even some very experienced genealogists were not aware of the postem feature on FreeBMD. Perhaps I should write an article about this for Queensland Family Historian or Inside History Magazine.

      Delete
    2. Judy, definitely write a follow up for Inside History! I haven't used it consistently so my whiteboard now has a reminder to go back and add more? I also didn't know about the search option because I hadn't read the help option.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the encouragement, Pauleen, I'll ask Cassie Mercer whether she would like to publish it in Inside History Magazine.

      Delete
  6. Judy, thank you. I've been using FreeBMD for so long I blush to admit I'd no idea about the postems. You're so right - the more of us who use it, the more it'll benefit genies and perhaps chip at a brick wall or reel in a few cousins for us, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised how many experienced genealogists (even in the UK) did not know about FreeBMD postems. Blogger's stats show that the interest in this post has been quite amazing, so hopefully the idea is spreading now.

      Delete

Hello, thanks for leaving a comment on the World Wide Genealogy Blog. All comments are moderated because of pesky spammers!

Best wishes
World Wide Genealogy Team