Wednesday 19 March 2014

Where Are My Descendants? Orphaned Photos

As a family historian, we spend lots of time researching our own families and others who may have been connected to our own.  I love to spend my time researching my own family photos and trying to identify individuals in photos that I may not have a name for.  One of the things I do is purchase orphan photos at antique stores, swap meets, and online sites such as ebay.  Below are some photos that I purchased on ebay.  They came together and I have over 200 in this lot.  It saddens me to know that there are photos out there that do not have a home and the descendants of these individuals may not know or have photos of their loved ones and/or ancestors.

I have a blog where I post orphan photos when I have the time.  You can go to Found Lost Treasures to see what I have posted so far.  There are many sites on the World Wide Web that post Lost and Orphaned Photos.  One of the blogs that I look at time to time is: Forgotten Old Photos, I would suggest that if you are looking for orphaned photos, to google Lost, Orphaned Photos, or something of that nature.  One place you could look for lost photos would be to search on Geneabloggers in their search engine.  There are over 2,000 blogs and they have various categories you can search in.  You never know when you may stumble across an ancestor you are looking for.

Photos below do not have much if any identification.  I will have to research the lot of photos in order to determine who some people might be.  Please, if you can identify anyone, let me know as I would love to reunite these photos to their descendants...Thank You!





Schenectady 1936

by Jim Leonard
Sidney Rd.
Cincinnati
Dec 19, 1947









Helen Ann Hons
Sophmore of N.C. U.N.C.
2205 Malvern Road
Charlotte, N.C.
December 1944




8 comments:

  1. So you might be the right one to ask. I have a lot of old photos of my parents friends. I was thinking it might be nice to put them somewhere for others to find. What do you think might be the best way to share them? They aren't orphans, I know who they are, it's just their families that are lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would do a separate blog page for those orphan photos. People search all the time and possibly will google their names and find them on your blog.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I am doing the A to Z blogging challenge so will add some of them there.

      Delete
  2. I hope you find some descendants of these lovely people to pass these on to. I need to revisit some of the sites you suggest, I sure would love to find some orphans. Nice post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! I really hope somebody comes across these and recognizes them.

      Delete
  3. What a great idea, have you ever connected any of the photos with family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple that I connected with the families, but they really did not want the originals...Just digital copies. I don't understand that, so they remain in my possession.

      Delete
  4. Dead Fred is another site http://www.deadfred.com/. There are also Flickr groups Facegroup groups - Unidentified photos Australia at https://www.facebook.com/groups/263643847036979/

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for leaving a comment on the World Wide Genealogy Blog. All comments are moderated because of pesky spammers!

Best wishes
World Wide Genealogy Team