Wednesday 29 January 2014

Greetings from Victoria

Hi - I am Anne and I am the 7th collaborator from Australia and the only one from Victoria so far.  Jill, Diane and Sharon are from New South Wales, Helen and Caitlin from Queensland and Pauleen from the Northern Territory (bit of an eastern states bias).

I blog at http://ayfamilyhistory.blogspot.com.au/ and although I started in 2012 only regularly blogged last year.

Although I have been researching the family history for over twenty years I have found the recent move to blogging a terrific way to revisit my research and to communicate it to others. My daughter reads my blog posts :) and I guess in the main she is my intended audience, as well as any other family members that are interested.  A database is a terrific way to collect information but it is only a useful tool to store the information and to talk with another enthusiast.  Writing a blog post means I revisit my sources and make sense of the facts. It is never a quick process!

I have found geneamemes really useful inspiration as sometimes I become overwhelmed by all there is to write up and freeze in front of the blank computer screen.  I participate occasionally in SepiaSaturday posts (http://sepiasaturday.blogspot.com.au/)
Historical photographs of any age or kind (they don't have to be sepia) become the launchpad for explorations of family history, local history and social history in fact or fiction, poetry or prose, words or further images.
I was inspired by the notion of Trove Tuesday - writing on a Tuesday about a discovery through Trove - the National Library of Australia's research service which includes digitised Australian newspapers (http://trove.nla.gov.au ). The idea for this blogging prompt was started by Amy Lehmann in 2012 (http://branchesleavespollen.blogspot.com.au/p/trove-tuesday.html ).

I recently participated in a blogging challenge for Australia Day initiated by Pauleen Cass. It was an excellent example of where I had done the research and had the facts but it wasn't organised. A great opportunity to get more organised.  It also highlighted some further areas of research to follow up on.

I read other people's blogs - two of my favourites are The Legal Genealogist (http://www.legalgenealogist.com/) and Western District families (http://mywdfamilies.wordpress.com/). 

This is my first collaborative blog and I look forward to further working with everyone in 2014.

10 comments:

  1. It's great meeting you Anne! It is great to see what types of genealogy assignments you are involved in. I have wanted to do Sepia Saturday...Maybe I will do that starting next month. Enjoyed reading your post and look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Yvette - SepiaSaturday is fun - especially seeing what everyone else does with the launchpad photo prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne love your Family History and how you made the tables and charts that was so Good. Welcome and Glad you joined us and look forward to hearing more from "Down Under.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the mention Anne. You have a lovely blog and it's clear you put a lot of work into it. Congratulations for being the first Victorian to post, I must get into gear and join you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly keep busy! I look forward to getting to know you through your posts. And your blog is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anne, nice to see a Victorian join us. Really looking forward to reading more of your posts !
    Cheers
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome, Anne to Worldwide Genealogy and I look forward to reading more of your posts. I too am a contributor of Sepia Saturday and would recommend it to anyone. It is striking to see how differently other bloggers interpret the weekly prompt picture and the Sepia Saturday network is very supportive with comments. I do have a link with Victoria, with my aunt emigrating there in 1949 shortly after her marriage. She lived in Melbourne and then Mornington, but sadly following her death, contact was lost with the family. Finding out more is one of many topics on my family history "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Anne. So pleased to see such a fine representative from Victoria here. I do enjoy your personal blog so will be keen to see what you have to share in this forum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anne, it's interesting how the Aussies have jumped on board with this collaboration. It's going to be great to see what everyone has to say.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for leaving a comment on the World Wide Genealogy Blog. All comments are moderated because of pesky spammers!

Best wishes
World Wide Genealogy Team